Re: /dev/kmem

> Since "ps" normally consults /dev/kmem, I can do two things:
>
> - Change "ps" to consult /proc
> - Implement /dev/kmem
>
> The last one seems the most desireable solution to me, since Mint would become
> more BSD-ish in that way.
>
> Now my question is this: Why was /proc implemented into Mint?
> Has /proc advantages over /dev/kmem?

I think one advantage is that the kernel has more control over what it
publishes in /proc, and that the /proc device is visible to the user
for simple manipulations such as in the MultiTOS desktop.

I'm not sure, however, what a /dev/kmem offers. If it opens up the
complete kernel address space to other processes, I would definitely
prefer the /proc approach since it seems safer to me.

Claus Brod, MDD, HP Boeblingen         Have you hugged your manager today?