Cache buffers for MiNT

Hi everybody!

I recently thought about some added functionality in the memory
management.

Most unixes use the currently not used memory as a cache for the
file systems. So, I would like it very much if MiNT would have something
similar, as it would increase the disk performance dramatically.

In my opinion, all we need is a kernel function which can give out
buffer blocks, and takes as a parameter the address of a call-back
function, which is called when the block is needed. Then a file system
could get blocks from the system for a cache. When memory gets low,
the call-back function is called, where the file system flushes the
cache block and unlinks it from its internal cache lists.

Unfortunately, I do not have the knowlegde of MiNTs memory management
system to implement it myself... :(

Any opinions?

Ulrich

--
| Ulrich Kuehn  | Internet:                  | Life is uncertain --  |