Re: MiNT/MTOS under PAK3

Roland said:
> Anybody else using GCC under Outside?

It looks as though I may be being a little harsh saying that MiNT/Outside
doesn't work. I'm told that people are happily using it. However, the only
people who are using it have already got more than my meagre 4Mb of RAM. If
you have more than this, then you may have no problems.

hih90cn4jf2@moacs11 (who?) said:
>The new version of Outside (3.30) will be released in a couple of weeks.
>That one will work fine with MiNT (I can say that for certain, I'm beta-

Hmm - not true I'm afraid. I'm using that too, Uwe was kind enough to send
me a copy through email. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. I think
that basically Outside will work if you have enough memory not to want to use
it anyway :-)) Seriously, I think it needs more than the 4Mb you get in a
standard Falcon. This is just for using it under MiNT (and mainly with Gcc,
although tcsh gave me the same problem running mkwhatis last night :-(

I even tried recompiling Gcc with the malloc() call rather than alloca() in
case
it was the stack allocation that was causing problems (since so much other
stuff works ok). Still the same result. The problem stems from the fact that I
have to leave 2Mb of my 4Mb as ST ram --> only 2Mb for Outside to page in and
out of. I suppose it's possible that it's having problems when something needs
more than 2Mb or RAM to work with...

I have to say that I'm pleased with Outside under Gem. The majority of
programs work fine then. But as I say, the main reason I bought it was to use
C++ ...

Maybe in a few months (frustrating) time I'll have a go at incorporating the
atari Linux VMM system into MiNT.

ATB,
	Simon.