Re: Pexec mode 4 and 104

    Schwab@issan.Informatik.U,
    In a message on 26 August, to Evanlang@uss.Lonestar.Org, wrote :

  [ some stuff deleted ]

  sP> |> What about GEM?  Can a child executed through Pexec 4 or 104 use its
  sP> |> parent's application id and make AES calls as if it was the parent sin
  sP> |> it shares all its memory?  Or woudl the child have to open a new appl_
  sP> |> with appl_init()?  This would be inconvienient for my purposes since I
  sP> |> would also need an evnt_multi() loop and I wanted to block waiting on
  sP> |> Pmsg() calls, not evnt_multi() - I'd have to poll for one or the other
  sP>
  sP> I don't know, but i don't think you must call appl_init again.

  Then it is possible for say Toswin to tfork() a process that is Fselect()ing
  on the ptys, while the "main" process is doing only evnt_multi() - waiting
  for an appl_write() from the Fselect()ing process. IE, there is a way to
  modify TOSWIN into no polling.

  Hey, Warwick, are you listening... (!)

This can still be done. I do this in Digital Storefront - the child process
init's itself, then sits in an Fselect on a pipe and a tty. When something
comes in the tty that the parent needs to know about, it sends an AES message
to the parent. Unfortunately, now that I think about it, this is the part that
stops working when SpeedoGDOS 4.2 is running...

Howard Chu, Sr. Systems Engineer               Lloyd Internetworking
howard@lloyd.com                               3031 Alhambra Drive
(916) 676-1147 - voice                         Suite 102
(916) 676-3442 - fax                           Cameron Park, CA  95682