MiNTos 1.4.1 vs gcc 2.5.8

I've just noticed a strange effect with gcc 2.5.8 (from
Gnustuff/Tos/Gcc/whatever on atari.archive.umich.edu)...  I've got
GCCEXEC=/gnu/bin/gcc- and GNUEXEC=/gnu/bin/gcc- (followed by export
commands) in /etc/profile.

If I log on as root, gcc properly executes gcc-cpp, gcc-cc1, etc.

If I log on as chris, gcc tries to execute cpp, and fails.

In both cases, echo $GNUEXEC $GCCEXEC prints the right value.  If I go
export GNUEXEC=/gnu/bin/gcc- ; export GCCEXEC=/gnu/bin/gcc- when logged
on as chris, it still doesn't work.  The environment is set properly,
but for some reason, gcc just doesn't get it unless I'm logged in as
root.

I'm using bash 1.14.1 from ftp.germany.eu.net as my shell, MiNT 1.11h2
with a few patches that're in h3, and MiNTos 1.4.1.  Any clues?

--
 |||  Jaguar 64-bit                    cherborth@semprini.waterloo-rdp.on.ca
/ | \ DO THE MATH                                             Chris Herborth