Re: gem.sys sources

On Mon, 12 Dec 1994, Ulrich Kuehn wrote:

> |>What we (users: I'm speaking here as an ordinary user, definitely *not*
> |>as an Atari employee) really need is a freeware GEM replacement. I can
> |>see two distinct possibilities: (1) PRAX (whatever became of that? Michael?),
>
> Well, as the guy who was responsible for the libs sitting in the gem trap,
> I can say, that we had almost all the stuff done that was not goint into
> the screen and window manager, which was the part that michael wanted to
> write... Unfortunately he did not find enough time to finish that thing.
> But anyway, the whole project would need a complete overhaul, as it should
> be based on sockets instead of pipes.

Bad News again... :-(. What way would you have distributed it? GNU License,
or Shareware or commercial or ...? Perhaps you could publish the sources.
I think there are many people interested in working on it.

> |>or (2) a GEM server running on top of X11. (2) would also have the
> |>advantage of perhaps being portable to Linux/68K.
> |>
> |>Is there interest in this? Or does no-one use the AES any more?
> |>
> I am still using it, but the missing support for user ids in the Aes is
> disturbing me more and more :) And of course the Psemaphore call in the
> trap handler, which is avoiding ALL parallelity of GEM calls.

I totally agree to this -- but GEM is really not bad! It's just lacking
support and further development. And if we can't have the original,
let's do a better version ourselves.

Ciao,
Stephan

|      Stephan Haslbeck	       |    Fachschaft Informatik    |
|       Agricolastr. 61	       |   Technische Universitaet   |
|      D-80686 Muenchen	       |      Muenchen, Bayern	     |
|          Es gibt keine Probleme, nur Loesungen.	     |