Re: Virtual Memory

In <9502142109.AA64393@troy.la.locus.com>, Howard Chu writes:
> While we're on this subject - how many people would be willing to replace the
> 68000s in their STs with 68010s? Pretty much demands that you also upgrade to
> TOS 2.06 at the same time, but that opens the door for an even wider VM user
> base...

A good point with one major problem: getting hold of 68010s.

AFAIK they were discontinued long ago and are nowadays very
hard to find. This goes for both PLCC and DIL. I remember that
I tried to locate a 16MHz DIL a couple of years ago to fit in
my STE (which had a Turbo 16 accelerator). I called Motorola
Sweden, I called Motorola Europe and I called lots of other
places without anyone being able to tell me how to get one.

BTW, wasn`t the 68010-problem solved in TOS 1.06? IIRC the only
thing that prevented TOS 1.04 and earlier to work with a 68010
was a move from SR somewhere in the bootup-code. Right or wrong?

--
|       Daniel Eriksson, root@icon.pp.se (UUCP), der@astrakan.hgs.se       |
|  Voice +46 26 72905, Fax +46 26 72123, F030/14/2000/Tower/17"/CDROM/DAT  |