Newbie needs help with configure script

Hello all,

Having gotten my GNU C 2.5.8 setup working again,  I set out
to compile my own GNU file utils and text utils from the latest
source release. Unfortunately, I could not get past the configure
script...  Here is what happens:

$ sh configure
configure: source not found in {empty space}

Ok, so I went into the configure script, and set the appropriate
variable to the absolute path to the source code. I retried, and
got:

$ sh configure
configure: source not found in /home/extase/yves/source/fileutils/src

I'm stumped. I tried moving the configure script to another directory,
and that did not help. I fooled around with the UNIXMODE variable, but
that did not seem to help either.

I'm running the binary release of MiNTOS 1.4.1 under MH-MiNTh2
compiled for the 030 with GNU C 2.5.8. and MiNTlibs PL44.  My minixfs
is the latest version, released a few short months ago.

Any help would be gratefully received.
Yves Pelletier                             ypelletier@cmc.aes.doe.ca
Section analyse et pronostic
Centre Meteorologique Canadien             Not a CMC spokesman