MiNT-net... another stupid question

Ok, so I finish porting CERN's libwww and the httpd server on Sunday
morning, so I reboot my MiNT system with networking on (hey, on a wussie
4M ST, you need to do these things to be able to program)...

The server works!  That's right kids, you could run a Web server on your
Atari ST!  I ran out of RAM real quick running lynx and httpd on the
same system, but I was able to convince myself that it worked OK.  It
was pretty slow though...

Anyway, this all worked as root.  As a normal user, ping localhost
wouldn't even work!  In fact, ping told me "socket: access denied!".
lynx http://localhost/ told me that it couldn't find the host, despite
being in my hosts file.

Am I doing something silly here, or is this a known problem?