Re: FreeMiNT 1.12 PL4

Julian Reschke wrote:

> I was thinking that the manual pages should stay were I've put them
> (inside the source release). However, I can make a separate upload if
> Eric agrees.

I thought that a separate man distribution would be more useful for
people not interested in the sources.

> Regarding distribution: the new format makes it VERY hard for people without
> long filenames, my tar wouldn't unpack anything because it couldn't
> create the directory.

I've re-packaged the freemint-1.12.4-{bin,src}.tar.gz distributions
not to contain the long directory pathname.

> Besides, the binary and source archive will be
> distributed thru mailboxes, so a filename like 'fmn1124{b|s}.*' would
> be useful.

OK, I've created symlinks with 8.3 compatible names (fmn1124{b,s}.tgz)
in the distribution directory on ftp.inf.tu-dresden.de.

> Finally, if you're willing to do a final change: I'd like to have a
> special cookie for FreeMiNT, because this can make life easier during
> remote debugging (I would put support for that inside my uname.ttp).

Wouldn't it be better to invent a new system call Suname() for this
purpose?  (However, if this was to be Unix compatible, we would have
to start maintaining the hostname in the kernel, which would require
another system call to set it.)

Regards,
Michael
--