syslogd and redirection of the debug output

Hi!

I'm quite new on MiNT and has a lot of stupid questions I'd like to ask (the
answers of all my questions can probably be found in some FAQ I've not yet
found...).

I'm running MiNT 1.12.4, MintOS 1.4.1 and vconsole. As I understand these
things, the system logger daemon (syslogd) is supposed to write lots of
interesting information into different log files (such as errors and debug
information). It doesn't. Has this something with /etc/syslogd.conf to do? I've
experimented a little with different settings, but nothing helps. The only
thing that is logged is when the system is halted.

Further I allways get very irritated when som program crashes and MiNT reports
it to the console, screwing up the entire GEM-console. Is it possible to
redirect those error and debug messages to a virtual console? How?

Finally, is there any possibilities of taking GEM down (after bootgem), log out
and then start all over again (without rebooting the system)?

sincerely

Stefan Svensson