Fcntl() modification proposal

Hi,
A problem people have to face when designing MiNT external device drivers is
the driver configuration.
It would be nice if we could configure a device using a configuration command,
but as the only way is to use the Fcntl() function and we don't have
user reserved commands, nobody knows if the command numbers he choose won't be
used later by standard Fcntl() commands.
So we should reserve some Fcntl() commands for private device use to give the
device driver writer a way to configure his device like un*x does with the
ioctl() call. I suggest to use commands 0xFF00 to 0xFFFF for this purpose.
This would make an audiodev with frequency and resolution selection possible
and many other things...

Please give your opinion about this idea.
Eddy.