Updating MiNT and XaAES (foundations of free, modern Atari system operation)

Jerry Geiger wrote:

> Hi Andreas Schwab, Jens M Felderhoff
>
> Last year I posted here a diff archive for POSIX time (esp. TZ rules) in
> mintlib, to patch libsrc PL46.
>
> Further I made some proposals for a gettimeofday funtion and TOS
> compatible time handling in MiNT, but no one seemed interested.
> So my MiNT system is running with UTC time now, therefore I also patched the
> time() function from mintlib (replacing the mktime() call with the _unixtim()
> function from MiNT sources).
> Of course this works only on machines running the clock with UTC time. And
> of course you have to recompile all programs using local time (date, ls,
> mailers, etc).
> To make it portable at least I suggest a clock cookie:
> 'CLOC' 'clock_cookie_value' where the upper 8 bits in clock_cookie_value
> are a bitfield:
> if =0 or doesn't exist: clock is (Tgettime/date returns) local time + DST
> according TZ environment variable
>         00000001        clock is UTC time
>         00000010        Tgettimeofday() function and unxitime variable
>                         available, returns (only) timeval struct
>         00000110        Tgettimeofday() function returns also timezone
>
> Tgettimeofday() of course returns always UTC time in seconds since 1970
>
> If this cookie doesn't exist when MiNT starts up it creates it according to its
> time capabilities, if it exists MiNT changes it accordingly.
>
> --
>   jerry
>         jerry@merlin.abacus.de          jerry@zedat.fu-berlin.de
Jerry,

Perhaps it would be a good idea if you were to take over the challenge
of releasing the next FreeMiNT with your time enhancements.  Does that
make MiNT immune to the "Millineum Bug"

The two freeware MultiTOS replacements (oAESis and XaAES) have not been
updated in quite sometime either.  Interestingly enough, Mark
Cave-Ayland <cavey@cavestar.demon.co.uk> has sent a message to the XaAES
mailing list stating that he has made improvements on that code.
Perhaps it will also be updated.
It probably would be a good idea to create unofficial websites for MiNT,
oAESis and XaAES.

Here is his message: