Re: N.AES

Hi Andrew!

On Sat 19-04-97 15:31 you wrote:

>work.  Now a few question/details:
>
>1.	Is it a GEM replacement which works with MiNT?

Yes.

>2.	Is there an English version?

No :-( Unfortunelately, all the docs are in German. In daily use you
won't notice it, although you'll get a "Laufwerk A: kann angeforderte
Spur nicht erreichen" from time to time.

>3.	Where can I get it from (preferably in England, but abroad if
>	necessary)?

Overscan and Woller & Link (Both in Germany) have it. I don't think
there are English distributors.

>4.	How much is it?

If you have MultiTOS, you can send in the disk and get N.AES for
DM59,- which is something like #25. They also deduct the German VAT,
so all in all it's very cheap. The normal price is DM99.

>5.	Some details.

When you buy it, you'll get N.AES itself, a replacement file-selector
(Not very good, use Selectric of Freedom.), ST-Guide, N.Thing (Which
is Thing, except it only works with N.AES.) and some utilites for
shutdown, resolution-change (Very good!.) and other stuff. There are
also both 68k and 030-binaries of some of the programs, including
N_AES.SYS.

>6.	Comments from those that have used it.

I love it! It's fast (MagiC 5 is about 5-10% faster, but that's all.)
and extremely stable. You can throw just about anything to it, and it
won't crash. Together with MiNTOS (And virtual terminals!) it's
perfect for networking and programming. I've used it upto 12 hours
without one single crash, and that includes some heavy
programming-sessions with programs crashing inside userdefs! (Ok, so I
can't do userdefs yet...)

It looks almost identical to ordinary GEM (Have a look at Mille
Babic's homepage for some beatiful screenshots! www.tripnet.se/~mille)
but it behaves much better. The only downside I can think of the
German alerts.

There is some more info and screenshots on my homepage, look in the
Atari-section.

--
Jo Even Skarstein    URL: http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~josk/

"Silence - music's original alternative. Rootsgrunge!"
 - Todd Snider