Re: Time patch -- let's talk about it.

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Jerry Geiger wrote:

> > > Maybe I didn't understand the patch fully again, but my objection is
> > > simple: most of us use the local time on our machines, I think. Will the
> > > patched pl47 return the correct local time _without_ setting an env.
> > > variable?
> My question is how do you deal with DST? and what about time zones??

? what is DST? Something with summer time? If yes, I simply set the actual
time into my NVRAM, twice a year.

> I proposed a TIME cookie which tells the library the time the clock
> is running with. (i.e. UTC, local time (with or without DST))

The 'TIME' cookie already exists (ShowTime and other programs use it). It
contains the GEMDOS timer value.

> According to this information the lib will calculate or just get UTC time
> from the OS. btw: If you are running your machine with local time you should
> have set the TZ env variable including DST information, cause ...

Well, and this is something I would not like. I think that a machine with
local time should not need any env variable or additional cookies for
running programs linked with MiNTlibs.

> For portable binaries (libs, programs) we need
> 1. a TIME cookie to tell the library the machine clock's time

maybe a UTC_ cookie, or a better name, but certainly not 'TIME'.

Petr
--
    WWW: http://ft3.zlin.vutbr.cz/stehlik/home.htm          PARCP development
 e-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz