Re: Time patch -- let's talk about it.

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> > My question is how do you deal with DST? and what about time zones??
>
> ? what is DST? Something with summer time? If yes, I simply set the actual
> time into my NVRAM, twice a year.
>
> > I proposed a TIME cookie which tells the library the time the clock
> > is running with. (i.e. UTC, local time (with or without DST))
>
> The 'TIME' cookie already exists (ShowTime and other programs use it). It
> contains the GEMDOS timer value.
>
> > According to this information the lib will calculate or just get UTC time
> > from the OS. btw: If you are running your machine with local time you should
> > have set the TZ env variable including DST information, cause ...
>
> Well, and this is something I would not like. I think that a machine with
> local time should not need any env variable or additional cookies for
> running programs linked with MiNTlibs.
>
> > For portable binaries (libs, programs) we need
> > 1. a TIME cookie to tell the library the machine clock's time
>
> maybe a UTC_ cookie, or a better name, but certainly not 'TIME'.
>
> Petr
> --
>     WWW: http://ft3.zlin.vutbr.cz/stehlik/home.htm          PARCP development
>  e-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz
> netmail: 2:421/36@fidonet.org, 90:1200/2@nest.ftn          AfterBurner040 user

What do dare I say it - "proper" unix boxes do?

I run `rdate` from /etc/ppp/ip-up, but because MiNT doesnt support
timezones, I'm an hour slow in the summer and this doesnt mean I get more
time in the bar.

I know this is probably a lot of work, and research involved, but wouldn't
the best solution, for all, be to reference GMT or whatever the internet
backbone boxes are `locked` to and then just have a TZ variable. Lets face
it - we all seem to be running MiNT hooked up to the internet, from pretty
much all over the world: to me that sounds like we need a $TZ.

That's my spanner.
               ~ Pretend to spank me - I'm a pseudo-masochist! ~

                       http://www.ligotage.demon.co.uk