Re: RE: VFAT.XFS versus MagiC

 >But anyway, that's not the main reason I write you a mail: I do it because
 >you're mixing here a few different things together. Let me list them:
 >
 >1) you want to see VFAT long filenames (and possibly write them)
 >2) you want to read & write ZIPs and other large (>32 MB) storage media

yes and yes

 >3) you are afraid of VFAT32 and want to be compatible with it.

Not affraid at all. I just wanna be able to read/write longnames
in VFAT on floppies/ZiP drives formatted under Win95, without
having to completely change my current hard-disk.

 >If you want just the long filenames, an utility for reading&writting them
 >under TOS/MiNT can be written in a hour or so. It's very easy, believe it

Actually, given VFAT is just additional data for the long
filenames, I suppose it should be easy to implement (though
I have no idea how to do it myself).

--- Re: suggestion: zip it all ---

This will not work here, if you followed this thread since
my very first posting. I need to read/write floppies and
ZiP cartridges formatted under Win95 by customers who give
me their logo or other documents to build their web page.

 >large medias. As you may (should :) know, TOS and DOS (or if you want MiNT
 >and Windows) partitions are compatible if their size is 32 MB or less. For
 >reading of bigger DOS partitions you need to use MagiC or BigDOS. And

Actually, I am totally ignorant of ANY filesystem. *grin*
This is why I posted this list to find out if/what/when is
possible to make such a VFAT32.XFS for MiNT.

 >Remember, that without this driver the VFAT or VFAT32 support is useless.

Nice of someone to finally explain the finer points! ;-)

 >it. Writting XFS for diskettes it's really a wasting of time.

Not if you constantly recieve VFAT floppies from customers.
This is something EVERYONE who interracts with people on Win95
needs, when data is exchanged on floppies.

Hopefully, the trend of ZiP cartriges replacing floppies will
finally give us a much better way, if ZiP becomes a standard
device on those new MMX P686 people buy by the truckload...

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
Atari TT030 4/24/50 NVDI 4.11, MiNT 1.14, GlueSTiK 0.2b4, AES 4.1
    "By the year 2000 we will, I hope, raise our children to
     believe in human potential, not God." -- Gloria Steinem