Re: Minix crash

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

>  >Not entirely correct. You have fsck to fix up the filesystem, and
>  >mfsdefrag to defrag it. I have found that fsck usually fixes all
>  >problems without loosing data, although it *can* make a total mess of
>  >the filesystem as well! It must be run frequently to avoid serious
>  >errors to occur, if you do this (KGMD does it at every boot) you're
>  >pretty safe.
>
> I'm not a Linux freak (I HATE commandlines),
> so I never installed KGMD.
>
> I only need MultiTOS, MiNTnet and GlueSTiK.

MiNTnet without MinixFS? Looks hairy... Btw. all the really good
internet-clients (Like pine, tin and ircii) works best from a
commandline, preferably on a virtual terminal.

> MultiTOS will soon be replaced by N.AES and Thing.

N.AES is extremely good, but it might be hard to find now :-( Overscan
(The publisher of N.AES) seems to be dead ATM.

> How big of a partition can one format under TOS 3.06?
> I will soon change my old Seagate ST157N for a larger
> hard-disk and want as few partitions as possible.

On TOS-partitions you can have upto 65536 cluster, so it all depends
on the cluster-size. E.g. with 16K clusters a partition can be 1Gb. I
don't know what's the upper limit on cluster-size. In general you
don't want huge partitions with FAT-systems as the clusters gets
really big and a lot of space is wasted. I wouldn't recommend clusters
bigger than 8K.

/*
**
*/