Re: HSmodem XDD?

> > > Does ANYONE have serial drivers that can permanently replace HS-Modem
> > > and beloaded by MiNT as XDD drivers, to finally resolve the problem?
> >
> > It should be possible to make a new driver, with public sources
> > and all, without having to re-invent the wheel?  As in using
> > chunks of code from Linux m68k?  Also, undoubtedly at some point
> > the Fenix project is going to come out with a replacement driver
> > of its own?  Perhaps, if we ask nicely, that could be raised a
> > notch or two on the priority list...
>
> I am not a Linux/68k user, but I know some ppl using this system. They say
> Linux serial routines aren't good, the system (on Falcons, that is) has
> troubles, they say, keeping up stable connections at baud rates higher
> than 38400. Perhaps NetBSD would be a better example then...

I'm using both MiNT and Linux ith my Falcon. Serial connections under Linux
are very stable. I'm using the serial port for PPP on the net at 115200 Bps and
my lan port at 57600 Bps to connect to my PC under ouindoze95 using PPP.
I've made some ping test (1000 packets sent)  on a falcon with an
AB040@40Mhz / 48Mb of FastRam / 4Mb of STRam:

Linux m68k v2.0.31 running X11:
  on the net:
     ping ftp.lip6.fr -> 5% of loose packets (/dev/cua1 = /dev/modem2)
  local:
     ping between py falcon and my PC on lan port without flow control -> 2% of loose packets.
     ping between py falcon and my PC on serial port (/dev/cua1)-> 2% of loose packets.

MiNT 1.14b2 running AES 4.1 :
  on the net:
     ping ftp.lip6.fr -> 15% of loose packets (/dev/cua1 = /dev/modem2)
  local:
     ping between py falcon and my PC on lan port without flow control -> 35% of loose packet.
     ping between py falcon and my PC on serial port (/dev/cua1)-> 14% of loose packet.

So Linux routines are a good starting point for a serial XDD. I'm using linux since
the v0.99 and use it on the net without problems. MiNT have the advantage of running
with AES so we could use our GEM applications but serial I/O could be improved.

NO'MAD SARL
62, Bd Aristide Briand
77000 Melun FRANCE
FAX : (+33) 164 378 228