Re: "Linux ported to non MMU system"

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 , Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

>Quite interesting. But what's the use of Linux on an ordinary ST, when
>MiNT is already a bit slow on such a machine? Besides, I personally could
>install normal Linux/68k (68030), but no use of Linux for me as long as
>the system is not GEM compatible. So I prefer MiNT.

You're right. MiNT is already slow  - though perfectly usable -,
but it's nice to see that something that was deemed impossible,
ie running linux without an MMU, has been at  least tempted. Who
knows, maybe it's faster than MiNT anyway by a large factor...
(though i seriously doubt it too - remember Minix ?  :)

As for GEM compatibility, I myself rarely use GEM apps under
MiNT, only console mode bins so that wouldn't change
much (or imagine starting Thing over STonx on linux...)

And by the way, i am not trying to derate the works done by
everyone in porting linux apps to MiNT... it's just that
I felt it unfair that this fine system (linux) could not
be run on my trusty megaST...:)

bye

F.Gamberini