Re: "Linux ported to non MMU system"

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Fabrice Gamberini wrote:

> Straight from comp.os.linux.announce:
>
> " Announcing The Linux/Microcontroller Project.

>  Linux has been ported to 68000 processors _without_ Memory Management
>  Units.  This is the first port of Linux that does not require an MMU.
>  The first platform supported is the 3Com PalmPilot or IBM Workpad with
>  a TRG SuperPilot memory card.  Next to be supported will be the Motorola
>  MC68332 microcontroller, expected in the next few weeks.

> Now what would prevent someone (?) from taking this port and mixing with the
> appropiate drivers from the m68k linux to release something for ordinary STs...
>
> Wouldn't that be grand ? though probably on the verge of the unusable with less than
> 4 megs of of RAM. On the other Hand, no need to "port"/translate  linux apps
> (non-X i mean) : just make config; make; make install. And a standard (ie "proven)
> tcp/ip stack to work with (with ip-masquerading perhaps)...provided that the
> non-MMU limitations aren't too hard (like all progs in the same user space).

Quite interesting. But what's the use of Linux on an ordinary ST, when
MiNT is already a bit slow on such a machine? Besides, I personally could
install normal Linux/68k (68030), but no use of Linux for me as long as
the system is not GEM compatible. So I prefer MiNT.

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail: draco@mi.com.pl

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.