Re: STinG and Mint => Privilege Violation (FWD)

> > > Nothing to be called "insufficiency". If Peter Rottengarten is so clever
> > > to point out MiNT innsuffiences, perhaps will be clever enough to fix
> > > them.
> >
> > Why? pointing out bugs is a good thing. If you dont know about them (or know
> > that they affect people) you cannot/wont fix them.
>
> I wanted to say, that Peter in fact didn't say anything, except for
> arbitrarily blaming MiNT for hypothetical insufficiences. Whose as well
> may be STiNG insufficiencies. If he'd say what problem there's really
> there, we'd consider fixing that. As far as I know, MiNT uses XBRA hooking
> up to all vectors it uses.

Actually, if you are reading the thread on the newsgroups, you will see that he
does in-fact detail the problem. IIRC, he says that MiNT corrupts his
"protection
handler", and so when STiNG causes a protection error (my question is why?) it
kills mint, rather than recovering and continuing, as it does under TOS.

> > I agree that for STiNG it isn't worth fixing, but ignoring all previous
> > vectors presumably affects more than just sting. I guess this is why
> > many things (blowup, freedom, ndi, sam) need to be installed after MiNT.
> > As I said, I dont really know the implications of this, so if its not a
> > big problem, forget about it...
>
> All software you have mentioned works fine when started before MiNT
> (except for Freedom II, which never works fine under any system).

I dont think blowup works for me, and I have had reports of problems with
SAM caused by ordering - although I haven't had time to confirm these.

Anthony
--
Anthony Jacques           IRC: AnthonyJ | The boy stood on the burning deck
jacquesa@zetnet.co.uk                   | Twit.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/jacquesa/ |                  (Spike Milligan)