Re: Preparing new distribution...

Correct. Nearly everything you now find in /sbin on a modern sysV machine used
to live in /etc on BSD4.2 (and before, as well as some considerable time
after). It was the standard place.

--
Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will