Re: Preparing new distribution...

>On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Katherine L Ellis wrote:
>
>> >2) make /sbin directory and put daemons
>> Yes, dump the /usr/etc (from kgmd) and put it there basically.
>> even the NON daemon such as fsck, reboot etc.
>
>On this machine (no reason why this would be the only right way of
>doing it, just taking it as an example), all the most essential binaries
>for system operation are in /sbin. This includes mounting, ls, filesystem,
>sh etc. Ie. a machine would be, in theory, operatable with just /sbin.

IMHO /sbin should contain no binaries needed by a normal user and should
not be in her path.

>/usr/etc contains the main daemons and system programs like ifconfig,
>netstat etc.

IMHO /etc should not contain binaries. Daemons should be in /sbin. (Why
would you like to have /etc in your PATH?)

I don't think there is a reason to have /bin and /usr/bin, unless /usr/bin
is shared over the network between different computers.

>/usr/local/bin contains some extra installed software like irc and some
>screensavers.

This would be a good place for software installed by the user. When You
update the distribution it will not be overwritten.

>/opt/bin contains nothing, although this is with later versions of
>netscape the default place to install (optionally installed software).
>
>/usr/freeware/bin is mainly for GNU packages and versions of software
>(pretty obsolete in MiNT as all software is GNU ;-)

Thats /usr/gnu/bin on my system :-)

I still like the Linux file system standard layout. I absolutly hate the
filesystem layout on our HPs.

Axel, who hates it when the ouput of echo $PATH does not fit on one screen.

Axel Kielhorn