Re: Preparing new distribution...

>I've been planning to prepare a new MiNT distribution. Using the KGMD, it
>came to my mind, that the filesystem structure needs a sortout in a bit.
good idea. however the structure is NOT that bad, it is pretty generic
actually, HOWEVER see the following.

>1) move /home/root to /root
no need at all.
However the new specification recommend that, so it won't harm.
This is a "WHY NOT" answer :)
However not recommended, careful use of that. (example not having the
mail folder in there, ONLY for system administration). So :) youto
deceide.

>2) make /sbin directory and put daemons
Yes, dump the /usr/etc (from kgmd) and put it there basically.
even the NON daemon such as fsck, reboot etc.

>3) make a real /bin directory and put root-only binaries there
what's a real directory? you mean a NOT sym-linked like in kgmd with
/usr/bin?

/bin should have essential commands, even to all users, such as ls.
NOt root reserved only.
You will find in /bin : arch, cat, chgrp, chown, cp, date, dd, df,
kill, stty, su etc.

>4) make /usr/skeleton directory for adduser
hm this should be /etc/skel instead of /usr/skeleton
Good idea though.

>5) allow the filesystems  like /home, /usr etc to be installed on
>   separate partitions by the installation script.
At this point, it will confuse more people than anything, but why not.
If a users really wants to do that, he can do it manually after, but
well, will need some hack in several files.

>Comments?
 done :)

Email:Kellis@primenet.com
Web http://www.primenet.com/~kellis/