Re: Preparing new distribution...

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Katherine L Ellis wrote:

> >2) make /sbin directory and put daemons
> Yes, dump the /usr/etc (from kgmd) and put it there basically.
> even the NON daemon such as fsck, reboot etc.

On this machine (no reason why this would be the only right way of
doing it, just taking it as an example), all the most essential binaries
for system operation are in /sbin. This includes mounting, ls, filesystem,
sh etc. Ie. a machine would be, in theory, operatable with just /sbin.

/usr/etc contains the main daemons and system programs like ifconfig,
netstat etc.

/bin is then a link to /usr/bin (this I found odd, but fits in as /sbin
contains the essential programs). /usr/bin has then links to programs
often found in /bin such as ls, which is a link to /sbin/ls etc.

/usr/sbin's function is slightly vague. It seems to contain system
binaries and administration which are not totally essential to the running
of the machine (ie. which don't fit in /sbin).

/usr/local/bin contains some extra installed software like irc and some
screensavers.

/opt/bin contains nothing, although this is with later versions of
netscape the default place to install (optionally installed software).

/usr/freeware/bin is mainly for GNU packages and versions of software
(pretty obsolete in MiNT as all software is GNU ;-)

All this makes a fair amount of sense I think. I hope it is at least
useful in some way (if anyone wants a listing of all those binary
directories I can post that too). Aswell as the above binary
directories, there are a couple which aren't in the default path but
contain some extra tools and stuff that the GUI mainly uses. If it makes
any difference, the OS is SysV based. I hear BSD ans SV have slight
differences, although I'm guessing they will slowly converge.

> >4) make /usr/skeleton directory for adduser
> hm this should be /etc/skel instead of /usr/skeleton
> Good idea though.

I'm not totally clear on the function of this directory. Could someone
describe it?

         |    /     Kristoffer Lawson      |    www.fishpool.com
         +-> |    setok@fishpool.com       |  - - --+
             |-- Fishpool Creations Ltd - /         |