Re: MiNT bug

 >  >>I was just writing this simple script, and it seems MiNT
 >  >>(or the shell?) doesn't understand the $TTY variable:
 >  >>
 >  >>--------/usr/etc/ttylog--------
 >  >>#!/bin/sh
 >  >>echo "MiNT 1.14 ("$HOSTNAME") ("$TTY")"
 >  >>exec tail -f /var/log/syslog
 >  >>#end
 >  >
 >  >change it into:
 >  >echo "MiNT 1.14 ("$HOSTNAME") (`tty`)"
 >  >
 >  >tty in our case is a program that will fetch the current tty,
 >
 >  Sounds nice, except it doesn't excuse MiNT not supporting $TTY which
 >  is a standard Unix environment variable.
 >
 >You're confusing shell variables with environment variables, and
 >you're confusing the tcsh with the Bourne shell.

  Notice in my first post that I *do* ask wether MiNT itself or
the shell is the one supposed to support this. Also, while TCSH
has an extensive (maybe even excessive?) MAN page, BASH doesn't
provide much in term of docs or shell feature, if the manual is
any indication.

  As I read further in this Unix book, I see that $LOGTTY or $TTY
provide the same result: the device name on which we're loged in.
I assume one would be Bourne syntax and the other CSH syntax, but
neither work here on MiNT, hence why I asked this list, since all
the Linux/BSD/whatchamacallitunixthang users I ask, about finding
which device is used through an environment string, suggest $TTY.
Then, when it doesn't work they're all amazed, cause it works on
all Unix variants they have running on their various machines...

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
Atari TT030 12/1600 NVDI 4.11, MiNT 1.14.6, N.AES 1.1.0, GlueSTiK
 Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
 payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
 address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>