Re: MiNT bug

 >On Fri, Mar 27, 1998 at 11:41:10PM -0500, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
 >>  Notice in my first post that I *do* ask wether MiNT itself or
 >>the shell is the one supposed to support this. Also, while TCSH
 >>has an extensive (maybe even excessive?) MAN page, BASH doesn't
 >>provide much in term of docs or shell feature, if the manual is
 >>any indication.
 >
 >Say *whaaaaat*??!!  For as long as I can remember, bash has had an
 >extremely long man page, and it also comes with a lot of supplementary
 >documents detailing its features.

After more MAN reading, it seems BASH is better suited to
processing scripts than acting as a login shell, given the
few commandline options.

TCSH has a simple '%B bold text here %b' method of outlining
bold text in the commandline, which is listed among available
variables for 'prompt' but there's no equivalent under BASH.

This is one of many things I've been trying to accomplish on
BASH, which is supposedly better and more flexible than TCSH,
but currently without any success.

Note I'm not gonna BASH this shell because of oversights on
the commandline front, but then again spending a whole day
parsing through books and MAN pages only to realize BASH is
not well-suited for this kind of purpose is frustrating, to
say the least.

Adding my impression that some people on this mailing have
an attitude of "newbies suck; we only want unix gurus' is
not making this any easier either.  My background does NOT
include studies in Computer Sciences, so sometimes things
that seem obvious to others aren't so clear to me.

However, I enjoy learning about this... byte by byte! 8^)

 >>  As I read further in this Unix book, I see that $LOGTTY or $TTY
 >>provide the same result: the device name on which we're loged in.
 >
 >Martin-Eric, I have to question the authority of the UNIX books
 >you're consulting.  :^)  They seem to have caused you a lot of
 >confusion on UNIX concepts.

Yes, I'm begining to think the same. 8^)

... although people hint maybe the author is simply assuming
that features found in distributions he has encountered and
adopted for himself are "standard" Unix environement.

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
Atari TT030 12/1600 NVDI 4.11, MiNT 1.14.6, N.AES 1.1.0, GlueSTiK
 Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
 payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
 address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>