Re: several important questions

  1) GCC fixstk

     Howard reports using negative values to "request half-memory",
     Jo Even uses positive values for the same.
     Which one is right? <g>

Jo Even's response is correct. It's been a while since I've read the
mintlib startup code. See the comments in crtinit.c for the full explanation.

  2) MiNT "kill process"

     According to 3 books on Unix I've read, Control-D is the standard
     "kill process" command, but MiNT uses Control-C.  Any reason?
     Since Control-C was already reserved by GEM for Clipboard, it would
     make more sense to stick to the Unix standard, wouldn't it?

The 3 books on Unix you read must have been written by CP/M experts.
The default interrupt character in Unix is the pound-sign ('#'). Normal
practice on BSD systems is to reassign it to Ctrl-C. Ctrl-D is reserved
for EOF, and has never been commonly used as the interrupt character.

  3) SH configuration file

     Is there a config file that is common to both BASH and TCSH, where
     all aliases and preferences could be set for both simulataneously?

BASH is a Bourne Shell derivative, TCSH is a C-Shell derivative. Their
command syntax is very different.

  4) Thing "create file"

     I notice Thing always create files with a "chmod 777" (unless this
     is configurable?). Could it be made to follow UMASK preferences?

     WHERE can one preset their preferences for FILE and FOLDER masks?
     Or actually, is there something like a .umaskrc ??

Dunno. I guess that would belong in mint.cnf if your .cshrc or .profile
aren't good enough.

  That's all for now. ;-)

  From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
  Atari TT030 12/1600 NVDI 4.11, MiNT 1.14.6, N.AES 1.1.0, GlueSTiK
   Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
   payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
   address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
   <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>