Re: several important questions

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> 2) MiNT "kill process"
>
>    According to 3 books on Unix I've read, Control-D is the standard
>    "kill process" command, but MiNT uses Control-C.  Any reason?
>    Since Control-C was already reserved by GEM for Clipboard, it would
>    make more sense to stick to the Unix standard, wouldn't it?

C-d? No UNIX system I've seen so far has used C-d to terminate processes
by default. Of course this can generally be configured, but all I've seen
default to C-c (and actually I don't even know of anyone who would use
anything different).

> 4) Thing "create file"
>
>    I notice Thing always create files with a "chmod 777" (unless this
>    is configurable?). Could it be made to follow UMASK preferences?

Funny. Normally any created file (created with open()) *must* be
affected by umask. You can't "override" that. Obviously if you
forcefully change the access mode after the file was created then that's
different but I find it strange that Thing would do that. Maybe that could
be an area that isn't completely implemented in MiNT? Related to TOS-style
commands maybe or something..

         |    /     Kristoffer Lawson      |    www.fishpool.com
         +-> |    setok@fishpool.com       |  - - --+
             |-- Fishpool Creations Ltd - /         |