Re: more question about porting/gcc

> OK, now I understand. New program can't start properly until the already
> running executes Mshrink. Well, this might be solved by several ways. Easy
> could be for example to limit the memory per process (there's a variable for
> this in MINT.CNF). Or, perhaps better would be to not give all memory when a
> program starts. MiNT could give let's say just 90% of memory to starting
> process. Or we could introduce another MiNT.CNF variable that would keep the
> amount of memory that would be saved and not given to started process. E.g.
> there's 40 MB free block and the RESERVED_MEM is 2 meg, so started programs
> gets only 38 MB and that 1 MB is free for daemon or whatever.

I fear that wouldn't help too much. It's also a good thing to have a
RESERVED_MEM value in the mint.cnf for programs doing no Mshrink at all
(mostly small tools exiting soon). But in general you cannot make assumptions
about the demands of programs, e. g. a gcc may not even start with 2MB ram
left.

Regards,
   Torsten