Re: more question about porting/gcc

>> >of one point: The mshrink() problem, which should really be fixed (this
is
>> >also good for Multitasking only, when I am compiling something and I am
>> >starting up another program this usually ends up in crashes because the
>> >gcc starts up very often and consumes up all Memory...
>>
>> on my machine everything works fine. I can compile several projects at
once
>> and do other things (reading mail, editing in Everest). No problem with
>> Mshrink().
>
>We had several crashes of daemons / programs due to lack of ram, because
>while starting up gcc consumes all ram until the mshrink is executed.

OK, now I understand. New program can't start properly until the already
running executes Mshrink. Well, this might be solved by several ways. Easy
could be for example to limit the memory per process (there's a variable for
this in MINT.CNF). Or, perhaps better would be to not give all memory when a
program starts. MiNT could give let's say just 90% of memory to starting
process. Or we could introduce another MiNT.CNF variable that would keep the
amount of memory that would be saved and not given to started process. E.g.
there's 40 MB free block and the RESERVED_MEM is 2 meg, so started programs
gets only 38 MB and that 1 MB is free for daemon or whatever.

Opinions?

Petr