Re: more question about porting/gcc

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Bernd Ebert wrote:

> of one point: The mshrink() problem, which should really be fixed (this is
> also good for Multitasking only, when I am compiling something and I am
> starting up another program this usually ends up in crashes because the
> gcc starts up very often and consumes up all Memory...

I imagine that all these problems could be avoided by setting the maximum
memory per process variable in mint.cnf. If you have enough memory, this
variable can be set to a value that is less than half the size of the RAM,
and then you should find that the memory will not keep being broken up
into smaller and smaller blocks past this size (or at least not so badly).
It will also stop gcc from eating up all your memory. But if you have less
than 30 or 40MB RAM it might be difficult to find a suitable value that
doesn't limit the available memory too much for memory-hungry
applications.

--
Mario Becroft                        Auckland, New Zealand
mb@tos.pl.net                    http://www.pl.net/~mario/      |\__/,|   (`\