Re: more question about porting/gcc

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> >of one point: The mshrink() problem, which should really be fixed (this is
> >also good for Multitasking only, when I am compiling something and I am
> >starting up another program this usually ends up in crashes because the
> >gcc starts up very often and consumes up all Memory...
>
> on my machine everything works fine. I can compile several projects at once
> and do other things (reading mail, editing in Everest). No problem with
> Mshrink().

We had several crashes of daemons / programs due to lack of ram, because
while starting up gcc consumes all ram until the mshrink is executed.
This lead into troubles while we worked with 2 users simultanously on my
hades (because even if there are 2 Projects being compiled it is still
very fast). When a program is already running there are no problems,
because then it needs no additional ram. But try to compile something
really big (like samba, which needs about 25min on my hades) and then try
to compile something else when being logged in from remote (serial,
ethernet...).
But after all, my hades had no serious system crash. Once up and running
it remained up until we shut it down in the evening, this means 2 Users
working about 14hours with heavy cpu-load and with many applications
running. :-))))

cu,
	Bernd