Re: more question about porting/gcc

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Bernd Ebert wrote:
> We had several crashes of daemons / programs due to lack of ram, because
> while starting up gcc consumes all ram until the mshrink is executed.

This just sounds wierd. MiNT gives few slices for newly started program
to Mshrink until other process' are executed. My friend has been running
bbs few years now under MiNT with three nodes (one local) and he is able
to do almost everything (including gcc compilation) while there's users
logged in. No problems with out of memory errors or program crashes. I
doubt any deamon is writen so badly that it crashes when there is no
more memory left. How do you set the caches on? There's been some
problems with the old versions of hades.acc.

> But after all, my hades had no serious system crash. Once up and running
> it remained up until we shut it down in the evening, this means 2 Users
> working about 14hours with heavy cpu-load and with many applications
> running. :-))))

Even a week is nothing if not quite MiNT aware is executed. Before my
friend bought a hades he was running the bbs with falcon. The best uptime
was something like two weeks with MiNT and N.AES. The reason for the boot
was not crash but some configuration change.