Re: STiNG, CAB, and Multitasking (strike

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> > > ), but that they give discounts to MagiC-users ("power-user",
> > > yeah right ;-) for software that works equally well with TOS, Geneva,
> > > MiNT/N.AES/whatever.
> >
> > That's pretty silly indeed. It's probably a marketing method to boost
> > MagiC sales.
>
> And is it legal? Here in Norway it certainly isn't. And then they only

I don't know of any law that would forbid it. Then, why should it ? If
someone builds something that needs another product from the same people,
what should be illegal about it ? You can claim that CAB does not need
MagiC, but in fact there are a few details that do.

> mention MagiC in their ads, I'm sure that a lot of people thinks they
> have to buy MagiC to be able to run CAB (just look at all the
> questions in c.s.a.s.). I wonder what they're thinking, it's the
> freeware/shareware that's the basis of Atari computing. By stomping
> all over other people efforts (MiNT, STinG) they're only digging their
> own grave.

It's sad, but I don't think they dig their own grave, in fact I think
they're doing rather clever. I used to compare them with Microsoft,
hated by people who know what's going on, but really good in terms of
marketing. Unfortunately, there is very little you or we could do about
it.

Cheers  Peter

   Peter Rottengatter       perot@pallas.amp.uni-hannover.de
                            http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~perot