Re: STiNG, CAB, and Multitasking (strike

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Peter Rottengatter wrote:

> > If more news-servers around the world enforced the RFC a bit stronger (512
> > chars per line IIRC) perhaps ASH will realise that breaking conventions is
> > A Bad Thing?
>
> The 512 character limit is only for NNTP command lines, i.e. header lines
> etc, but not text. So the RFC does not provide the means to tell ASH off.

Sh*t... Well, I've filtered all mail from the ASH Emailer to a
separate mailbox, and put it in the tin killfile so I don't have to
read it if I don't want to. Having text wrapped in the middle of words
on a 112 character terminal isn't exactly readable...

> > They're not only arrogant in that they set their own standards (look at
> > the MagiC AES
>
> I'm not sure what you're referring here to. MagiC AES implements virtually
> all MultiTOS extensions meanwhile. The few things that are different result

I'm referring to the objects that responds differently to some flags
than in real AES 4/4.1 (can't remember exactly which now), and that
some objects have much smaller frames. This means that to get stuff to
look good in both MagiC and AES 3.x/4.x you have to put in tests and
adjust the object-trees accordingly. Even your dialer suffers from
this (atleast the last version I installed on my Mega), the objects
overlaps each other in Geneva and N.AES...

> > ), but that they give discounts to MagiC-users ("power-user",
> > yeah right ;-) for software that works equally well with TOS, Geneva,
> > MiNT/N.AES/whatever.
>
> That's pretty silly indeed. It's probably a marketing method to boost
> MagiC sales.

And is it legal? Here in Norway it certainly isn't. And then they only
mention MagiC in their ads, I'm sure that a lot of people thinks they
have to buy MagiC to be able to run CAB (just look at all the
questions in c.s.a.s.). I wonder what they're thinking, it's the
freeware/shareware that's the basis of Atari computing. By stomping
all over other people efforts (MiNT, STinG) they're only digging their
own grave.

/*
**
*/