Re: MiNT vector unlinking (was: STiNG, CAB, and Multitasking (strike

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

>  >I agree, unlinking vectors is generally very rude, but I think a kernel
>  >should have some privileges here, esp. if it need to (look below).
>
> Then again, the fact MiNT unlinks vectors (especially cookie jar)
> means a LOT of things have to be patched. This reaches ridiculous
> levels, when HS-Modem (a _patch_ itself) has to be patched using
> Jerry Geiger's HSMINST package to correctly work under MiNT.

The cookie jar has nothing to do with unlinking vectors. MiNT
allocates space for the cookie-jar in global memory, and copies all
cookies except RSVF to the new location. This is what the source says:

"but don't copy RSVF, MiNTs /dev is for real..."

Why is this done? Just curious.

Btw. I have never used any patches to HS-Modem and have absolutely no
problems with it. Just ignore the docs and run it before MiNT.

And what kind of patches are you talking about? I have used MiNT for a
long time now, and has never patched anything. The only "patching"
I've done is to rearrange the auto-folder, which is unavoidable
anyway.

> continue his work (then maybe even convince Harun Scheutzow to
> release HS-Modem so we can finally have HSM modules as XDD)? ;-)

Harun Scheutzow has an aversion to MiNT, so I wouldn't get my hopes
up...

/*
**
*/