Re: STiNG, CAB, and Multitasking (strikes back) (fwd)

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> discussing now. The most annoying problem with MiNT is now its memory
> management subsystem, apparently too poor for modern requirements,
> including paging, memory protection and virtual memory. Comparing
> to that, the AUTO folder sorting problem, which dominated the main stream
> of MiNT list traffic last days, is really small and a bloody hell less
> important than the thing I mentioned above. Apparently people, who refuse

Then, tell me, why did you invite me in the first place to report on what
I think to be a bug in MiNT ? If you're too busy to discuss this, ok,
tell me and I'm gone. You've chosen to flame me instead, which will yield
the same result, but will certainly not lead to me speaking about you very
friendly on Usenet. It's been your choice, and I accept what you've chosen.

> other hand they know/realize/think, that this may ruin compatibility
> between MiNT and some/most existing TSR programs they use. At least, they
> may have some experience with MiNT, because this is the system they keep
> using. Right?

Sure. And a sensible, productive, discussion had probably emerged if these
things had been stated in a calm, discussion-like way. I've stayed calm,
which Jo took as a chance to discuss in a nice exciting way. I have
presented my arguments, you had your chance to reason against them, but
dogmas like "exception vectors belong to the OS, don't touch them" do not
help. I do not consider MiNT an OS, perhaps an OS extension, but I consider
STinG an OS extension too, so why should I acknowledge that MiNT may touch
vectors while STinG may not ? You've failed so badly on precisely what
you're asking from me here : Consider the other side's position ! You've
ignored mine, but ask me to know and take into account (even though I
never subscribed to your list) that you're so busy with so much more
important things. I go with a german saying : I'm washing my hands in
innocence. Ya know what that means ?

Cheers  Peter

   Peter Rottengatter       perot@pallas.amp.uni-hannover.de
                            http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~perot