Re: more question about porting/gcc

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Howard Chu wrote:

>Just some offhand thoughts in reaction to this ...
>
>As has been pointed out (by Peter Rottengatter, of all people!) we're not
>trying to be a 100% Unix clone here. If you want that, then just boot up Linux
>or NetBSD instead of TOS/MiNT.
no, as far as I know the mintlibs have been made to allow porting of
unix code to atari mint/magic or even tos sometimes. That's a very
good idea. What I say is just to complete the mintlib even closer to
posix standard, and as I understood, the kernal would have to be
changed as well. We are trying to be 100% unix clone at the compiler
level, nothing wrong with that, after all the mintlibs were done for
that.

>Just because you can't port identd doesn't mean the MiNT kernel is broken.
>MiNT isn't really intended as a multi-user OS. Multi-tasking, fine. I dunno
>about you, but I sure am not gonna share my Ataris with anyone else. I already
>own six machines; obviously just one wasn't enough for me, why would I want
>to go sharing it with other users....
I guess I must reconsider mint then, because one of the aspect that I
like is the multiuser side of it. and YES I do share my computer with
others. Why are we then trying to make mint more secure? fighting with
daemons? Why do we have all that? and a filesystem supporting
attributes, and all the uid? Just for the fun of it? I do appreciate
the multiuser side of mint, maybe not you, but well, that's a personal
way of using your os.

>The case of identd in particular is really meaningless in the MiNT environment.
well, as I say it again, identd is NOT important, was just an example
how a simple program can't be made by the mintlibs. To unfortunate I
guess for me if I am the only one using the multi-user side of mint
then. But guess what, other simple-clients do require sometimes
identd/authd, example irc. I mean even w95 has identd running when not
even ftp is installed, probably a reason? Don't know, but yes,
actually I DID a hack, 9 lines of code to do a simple identd, lame of
course, but it works. but where is the point?

>I've never heard of err.h. What standard is it specified in?
don't know, I could look it upfor you, but it is in a lot of netbsd
code and also is there in bsdi. Might not be a standard.

>stdarg.h works fine. The warnings are meaningless.
ok good to know. Besides in the latest includes of lib48, stdarg seems
to have been fixed, so even better as no warning anymore.