Re: about mint multiuser and RAM allocation prob.

> Also, IF in mint.cnf you specify the max RAM to allocat, mint works
> fine in general except that gcc complains about not enough RAM, so I
> did a free command, and IT only reported the max RAM I wrote in the
> mint.cnf
> Is that normal?? I mean this max ram should be the max allocated for 1
> process. NOT on the purpose to reduce the amount of ram youhave. I
> think it is a trick, but a bad trick. (imo). So I removed this line.
> (hope you understand what I meant ;)
> thanks.

Yes, that is normal. You can limit the maximum amount of RAM for a
process, right? 'Free' is a process as well....

I have the MINT.CNF variable commented out. When I am using gcc it
obviously takes all the RAM so that I can't even use -pipe option (btw.
I had to switch back to old gnu assembler and using -pipe with this looks
impossible). Besides, starting any program fro mdesktop (or even opening a
window) is also impossible. So before starting gcc from the shell I
usually do such a command:

	limit memoryuse 7000

This limits shell memory (and all its children, like gcc) to about 7 MB
leaving the rest for pipes, desktop windows and other processes.

Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail:draco@bl.pg.gda.pl
http://www.orient.uw.edu.pl/~conradus/

** Quem Iuppiter vult perdere, dementat prius.
** Kogo Jowisz chce zgubic, temu wpierw rozum odbiera.