N.AES objc_draw replacement (was: Re: STiNG, CAB, and Multitasking , (strike)

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> Now this is really off-topic, but it should be quite possible to
> modify N.AES to look exactly like MagiC if you want to. Just write
> your own objc_draw() :-) You can find inspiration (and a lot of fine
> code) in the oAESis-sources.
>
> Mario Becroft started on a similar project several months ago, but I
> don't know how far he has come or if he as scrapped it.

In case anyone wondered about this, here's a summary of the current state
of this project.

What this program does is replace the objc_draw in N.AES with a custom
version. In this case I used the objc_draw function from oAESis, so as to
have it working to some degree without having to write the whole thing
from scratch. The oAESis objc_draw results are practically identical to
standard N.AES, so I added some extra things like custom window-borders,
3D-menus and nicer buttons.

The program seems to work fine, but the objc_draw from oAESis is very bad.
It is full of problems. So for example disabled objects are often drawn
just like normal objects, proportional-spaced fonts don't work too well
and the clipping is a little mixed up.

I use the program every day, and I have made the odd improvement recently.
It now is perfectly stable, and is only waiting for me to re-write
objc_draw. I don't know if I will ever get around to this, but if anyone
else wants to try I'll be happy to send them the current source-code.

--
Mario Becroft                        Auckland, New Zealand
mb@tos.pl.net                    http://www.pl.net/~mario/      |\__/,|   (`\