Re: VFAT kernel considerations

 >q-funk@megacom.net%INTERNET wrote:
 >>
 >> After playing around with 1.15.b2 for about a week, a few things
 >> just popped into mind:
 >>
 >> 1) Docs recommend trying VFAT on the boot drive.
 >>
 >>    I have reservations about that. Basically, I consider partition
 >>    assignment following this scheme:
 >>
 >>    A: VFAT
 >>    B: disabled (toggle_B) or favorite FS (VFAT, Minix, Ext2, ...)
 >>    C: TOSFS
 >>  D-Z: favorite FS (VFAT, Minix, Ext2, ...)

[description of a problem keeping filename case]

 >VFAT is a case preserving file system (at least it should be :-).
 >This means, that a program can open FILENAME.EXT even if it has
 >been created as filename.ext.
 >
 >If this really is not yet the case, it needs to be put onto the
 >todo list :-)
 >
 >Regards, jr

Actually, I think the culprit is the GEMDOS rule that says case-
sensitive filesystems use lowercase by default, which isn't such
a good idea for VFAT **when used within the Atari environment**
because TOS applications assume a non-sensitive filesystem, so
case conversation turns into disaster.

This is why I maintain C: should remain as a TOSFS-only drive,
purely to ensure at least one partition will remain compatible
with older software, or when booting singleTOS is needed. ;-)

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
 Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
 payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
 address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>