EMERGENCY HELP NEEDED

Hi

I have just learned whar Murphys laws can do to us. There is a Law that says

"The Probability for a Harddisk Crash increases with Time from the last
Backup."

I've lost the a lot of changes to my current Shared Libary Manager Project.
Suddenly AHDI doesn't recognize my old Harddisk anymore. That just happened
when I whanted to pack my Homedir on a Disk anp unpack it on the new HD.

I don't think the the Hardware itself is broken since the BIOS seems to access
the HD at boot Time (I can hear the Step Motor). Maybe "only" the root sector
is broken. Is there a Tool for that (Maybe even for Linux; I can hook the HD
into my PC as well). Some Documentation about how the HD is structured would
alo help.

                        Christof