Re: MiNTlibs & FPU?

On Sun, May 17, 1998 at 11:49:42PM +0100, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> PureC libs contain hack to test the presence of real FPU - there's one
> FPU insns in the crt0 and they hook on the illegal insn vector. Quite
> odd, as it caused problems in TOSemu (a TOS emulator under Linux).

In that case, the emulator is not good enough - there are others which have
no problem with this task.

(I had some problems at the beginning to get these checks running on Milan,
but it works).

> What do you think? I believe it would be useful to have one library that
> runs on both FPU and nonFPU machines. And if I got it right, it should
> be easy to do that within current MiNTlibs.

This would be a very good idea IMHO.

The PureC way has the advantage that the programs will use the FPU even when
running on pre-TOS2.0x machines with FPU.

However, I think nowadays it would be OK to check _FPU and let those people
with old TOS use a small program that sets the cookies correct.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen