Re: filesystems

 >> Related to that:
 >> we found that the kernel still uses the BIOS function Mediach()
 >> in filesys.c.

'dskchng' in FILESYS structure calls Mediach(), is this what you're
refering to?

 >Then we have the serial number there, the volume name and the number of
 >free clusters to check if the diskette is still the same. Perhaps it will
 >slow the file opening down a bit, but at least would solve the floppy
 >change problem and would prevent the user/operator from bitching while
 >Minix filesystem doesn't want to read new directory from a changed floppy
 >disk.

That would be neat, especially if the floppy drivers are rewritten
for background non-blocking operation.

***

After discussion with Frank, (that'll teach me to mail this list,
without first reciting the Compendium according to Sanders twice)
I've managed to narrow down my file copying problem using newfat,
to GEMDOS function Pdomain(), which is what performs the filename
case conversion automatically.

Problem:

   TOSFS is uppercase by default, so software written for Atari
   assumes uppercase filenames, especially when reading files.
   This is usually true of older ST software.

   However, under MiNT, Pdomain() performs case conversion always.

Solution:

   Perhaps a way to solve this would be alter the Pdomain() rule:

      TOS -> case-sensitive:  maintain uppercase
      case-sensitive -> TOS:  transform to uppercase

Caveat:

   However, case conversion CAN be desirable under certain cases.
   Which conditions should apply, to decide if the case should be
   converted or not?  When is it desirable to do so?

***

Comments?  Reactions?  Suggestions?

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
 Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
 payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
 address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>