Re: VFAT kernel considerations

 >> I recommend that newfatfs explicitely ignores any request (mint.cnf)
 >> to write drive C: as VFAT media, in order to be totally idiot-proof.
 >
 >I disagree, a warning in the docs should be sufficient. It's not like
 >enabling VFAT on the boot-partition makes it impossible to boot, it's
 >just that it can make things confusing at times (or destroy things if
 >you don't know what you're doing).                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And many people (including some reading this very list) don't have
a clue what they're doing. This occurance is likely to increase as
people hear about the VFAT capabilities of MiNT 1.15 and decide to
give it a try, so we might as well make the system idiot-proof, to
avoid floods of complains from newbies who mistakenly messed their
boot partition. Just common sense.

 >> Furthermore, it might be a good idea to write "/etc/fstab" and
 >> specify any partitions (ie: drive D: or above) that use VFAT, so
 >> that future versions of INIT can call up the correct version of
 >> FSCK for each filesystem.
 >
 >/etc/fstab should be updated, but I think this should be some by some
 >configuring-program (like kellis' MiNT-setter) and not by the kernel.

Obviously...

Mintsetter deals specifically with global mint.cnf variables,
but GEM tools could of course be written to initialize and to
install filesystems.  Something like a GEM Minit that appends
fstab with the correct info would be welcome.

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
 Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
 payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
 address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>