Re: Setexc, Ssystem, Fcntl FSTAT in new kernel

draco@mi.com.pl%INTERNET wrote:

> > 2) Ssystem: I think there are situations where Ssystem can't replace
> > a supervisor mode call. In a case like that, I would prefer to
> > gracefully fail and print an error message instead of having my
> > program terminated. To do that, I would like to try Ssystem mode 16
> > to inquire the current SECURELEVEL. However, even the inquire mode
> > is restricted to root... Or is there a better way?
>
> This is not what was intended. In other words, it is a bug. Inquire mode
> shouldn't be restricted. Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> What a situation you think about, what would require supervisor mode for
> user process?

I was playing around with my tools and found that uname() tries to do
some nasty stuff to find out whether a machine might be a Stacy. I think
the code (taken out of Atari's maccel) is timing dependant, so I didn't
want to change it (can't test it anyway). Therefore I'd like to skip
this hardware detection in the case where it will abort myself ;-)

Regards, jr