Re: keeping TOS-FS or not?

q-funk@megacom.net%INTERNET wrote:

> Personally, given the plethora of second-hand Atari machines,
> there is no reason to support the emulator scene.  Whatsmore,
> there are highly performant TOS clones on the market.
>
> The only thing missing is a TOS laptop with 256-color graphics
> and advanced CPU, perhaps something like a laptop Milan?
>
>  >If so, I think the old TOS FS can always be included by a compiler
>  >switch. I.e. if it gets removed, what didn't happen yet.
>
> Again, /etc/fstab serves a purpose, why not use it?
>
> We could easily have:
>
> ----------
> # /etc/fstab -- wird von /etc/rc.boot ausgewertet
>
> # TOS filesystems
> c       -               tos     -       -       -
>
> # VFAT filesystems
> a       -               vfat    -       -       -
>
> # NEWFAT filesystems
> d       -               vfat    -       -       -
>
> # minix filesystems
> e       /               minix   -       -       -
>
> # EoF
>
> What's the point of having an fstab if nobody's gonna use it?
> We might as well revert to SingleTOS then...

An FS table on a drive is only of limited use (I already explained
that several times).

Besides, you need *some* working XFS to /etc/fstab. Emulators
obviously emulate some GEMDOS calls so that MiNT can come up
(this also applies to "Jet" in MacMiNT). These emulators will
still need a linked TOSFS in the future.

Regards, jr