Re: VFAT kernel considerations

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

>I recommend that newfatfs explicitely ignores any request (mint.cnf)
>to write drive C: as VFAT media, in order to be totally idiot-proof.
>Something like:
>                   VFAT=C
>
>Should be completely ignored, and a warning message be issued during
>bootup:
>          Warning:  VFAT cannot ever be enabled for drive C: !!!
You can't hardcode it to check for C. Many people don't boot from C
drive. Assuming C as bootdrive is a mistake.
Same kind of mistake as assuming /c/clipbrd for clipboard path.

>Also, the kernel should read "/etc/fstab" and reject requests to
>make any Minix partition as VFAT-writable, printing this message:
>
>          Warning:  partition D: assigned to Minix filesystem !!!

Many people might not have any /etc/files, Vfat or the kernal
shouldn't force you to use a /etc file.

Email:Kellis@primenet.com
Web http://www.primenet.com/~kellis/